Saturday, July 21, 2012

Have Liquor Cabinet, Will Travel - Part 2

Hello!

The weekend started out great with finds at and estate sale in Alameda on Friday. This Saturday there wasn't much with the exception of pieces for the travel bar that I've been working on revamping. Thom found a set of crystal cut stemware at one of our local thrift shops. We've been scouring the shops for weeks trying to find stemware of a particular size since the travel bar has slots of a certain size.


These are most likely champagne coupe's, but they are the perfect dimensions for the stemware slots in the bar. I'm not certain who produced this set of crystal, but at $2 each, you can't beat them.


As for the bar, as you can see I've added and replaced a few things since last you saw it. A trip to the local Ace Hardware store in town yielded a lot of, well, hardware.


I didn't know what was really out there in terms of decorative hardware and I would prefer to see in person what I was buying. This is why I decided to source from our local hardware store instead of online. I found some great brass handles, decorative corners and feet that fit the look I wanted nicely.


The leather straps are just two belts I bought at the flea market and attached them with brass upholstery tacks. The buckles Thom and I picked up at a yard sale months ago just for the hell of it. Luckily, there was a matching pair.


I also found some nice decorative hinges at the hardware store. I had to replace the ones that came with the bar because the metal they were made of was much too soft and the hinges were warping. These solid brass one's fit just right and almost have the same flair as the originals.


The decanter I found a couple of weeks ago, also at a thrift store. It's not crystal, but pressed glass, but it fits the bill rather well. I'm going to keep searching though only because the slot allotted for the decanter is much larger than the one I have. Bigger decanter, more booze!

I still have a few more things to do before it's complete. I need to order some Eastlake ring pulls to replace the one's on the drawers. I also need a new brass plate for the front of the bar and finally I'll need to line the floors of the glass slots with velvet so as to protect the stemware in transport. KBD suggested I put some period decals, either travel or otherwise in the interior. I'm contemplating this, but don't know what theme to pursue.

-HWC

No comments:

Post a Comment