Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Go Big or Go Home

Hello!

When KBD and I heard about the Gatsby Picnic and the possibly of us going, we started waxing poetic about what kind of set-up we would like to have. We think very "blue sky" whenever we plan to attend an event. As I've mentioned before, between KBD (Theatre Major/Milliner), Thom, my partner (Costume Designer), and myself (Industrial Designer), we think in very vivid strokes.

I instantly thought of the movie Gosford Park when the words "deco picnic" came up. You would think that maybe The Great Gatsby would pop up first, but it's been ages since I've read that book (in high school) and I've never seen the movie adaptation that starred Robert Redford. In Gosford Park there are several minutes devoted to an outdoor luncheon put together for the hunting party. This luncheon is of course assembled by the household staff and takes place in a lovely permanent gazebo.

Gosford Park; the guests arrive
If you've ever seen the movie, you'll know that the luncheon is no small "wrapped sandwich" affair. There's crystal and servants, fine china, a gramophone, drama, and Bloody Marys!

Doesn't English crystal make Bloody Mary's that much more enjoyable?
KBD and I took our first cues of inspiration for our picnic from these scenes. Though we will not have a house staff to set-up for us, we still decided that our picnic should be a top notch affair. No easy feat mind you, but maybe I'll write another post about how to transport fine china and crystal to an outdoor event?

Champagne and of course celery sticks!
But then KBD and I stood back and checked out what actual picnics of the era might have been like. A few Google searches later and we came to the conclusion that picnics of the era were (probably) mostly modest affairs.

Tin cups and a good time by all.

A big gathering with a really big table.
"While grandma was in a food coma, Charles decided to draw
a moustache on her with a felt tip pen."
All that on a motorcycle with a side car?

After considering all of our options, we decided to go with the movie version of what a picnic should look like. You know, the romantic vision of a director or art director. Baz Luhrmann, while filming Moulin Rouge, had said in an interview that what they wanted to create for the movie was not "virtual reality" but something they called "real virtuality". A concept that what you see is not necessarily period accurate, but accurate to one's imagination or style (I think I explained that correctly). So we wracked our brains trying to find other films to inspire us. We of course thought of Out of Africa.

Karen contemplating her next purchase from Ralph Lauren.
"Oh! That's all my crystal, my Limoges."
Out of Africa; camping, outdoor soiree's, and safari! For awhile there we were toying with a safari theme, but decided against it. Maybe because it's been done to death. Or maybe I really didn't want to own that much campaign furniture. Who knows? Though our final theme will probably invoke some sense of world traveler, it will not be limited to Africa.

Another film that came up for discussion was Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle. Though I have not seen it yet, KBD says there is a rather good picnic scene in it. Also, since I'm a fan of Downton Abbey, there is a wonderful garden party thrown at the end of season one. Yes, the period is much earlier, but it's fun to do research.

-HWC

1 comment:

  1. I love the title of this post. I have the mind set too, which is what inspires me every year to pull out all the furtinture and keep searching for new gatsby items. Its also what prompted me to volunteer my clothing for the costume closet.

    ReplyDelete