Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Grounds

Hello!

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, everything is coming to a head in the shop as we get closer to September. KBD, Thom, and I have been busy putting our costumes together. Thom and I are fortunate enough to have access to our own costume closet so a lot of our planning was putting together items we already have. But that doesn't mean we did not need to put thread to needle. KBD is going to get busy putting her hat together which I'm sure she will post an entry about.

I want to be the guy on the right
Hey girl...

I'll be wearing a more sporty look inspired by the first photo while Thom is going for the adventurer/world traveler look. I'll let KBD post about her outfit.

The main house

However, we did find time to go and visit the Dunsmuir House and grounds. Oddly enough, being long time residents of the bay area, we've never been there! I got excited when I saw the main house because this is the mansion used in the 80's James Bond movie A View to a Kill; which happens to be my favorite Bond movie not just because it takes place in the bay area, but also because of my love of Grace Jones.

Wild turkeys on the grounds

The grounds, not super large are quite beautiful. There's lots of green grass and clusters of shady trees here and there. Though you can hear the nearby freeway in spots, it's still a very magical place.

There was a neat grotto on the other side of this tresseled walkway
Unique flora
Palm trees! (it is California after all)
An orange tree (again, it is California after all)
The sprawling lawn
Ducks by the pond

We had a lovely time walking around. Made me wish we brought a picnic lunch with us! More posts tomorrow. It's been a very productive few weeks on the estate/garage sale front.

-HWC

No comments:

Post a Comment