Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Curvy Girl's Guide to Gatsby

Being a curvy girl, I shuddered at the thought of finding a suitable 1920's - 40's inspired day dress for the Gatsby Summer Afternoon.

The silhouettes of the day did nothing to flatter the more voluptuous.  I knew that finding a vintage frock was out of the question and being a new-ish Mom, sewing a dress was also not realistic.  My only choice was to search for a plus sized dress with a throwback silhouette that could pass with the proper accessories.  Enter - Nataya.

Holy smokes - this site was an oasis in a sea of meh. I ordered both of the below gowns in in ivory with the intent of dying them jade green.


I was quite pleased with their 1930's-inspired silhouettes, but the first look was more flattering on my body-type.

Costume guru, Thommy, dyed my dress & built me a gorgeous shawl cape that perfectly complimented it, while also giving me a more period-perfect look. Can not wait to debut the whole ensemble on Sunday!

xox - KB-D

UPDATE

Me & Thommy before I sweated out my hair & makeup during setup.  Next year - we set up plain-clothed & then get dressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment