Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Starting From the Neck Up

I am a theatrical milliner by trade, so I am always thinking about head-wear first when it comes to what I'll be wearing to a costume event.

While at the fleas this weekend, I stumbled upon a pile of cheap straw hats from China. I thought it would be fun to see if I could turn a $3 hat into something wonderful..


I choose the top straw hat, because I love the scalloped texture & it was a material that would dye well. The next step was to do a little research....

I love, love, love the silk tulle that surrounds the crown of this divine straw hat.  It gives it an ethereal  look & I adore the idea of a garden of flowers resting on a cloud of tulle!

Photo from Vintage Hat & Bonnets 1770-1970 

And how gorgeous is the below hat?  I crazy love the wired brim, satin bias edge & the little flowers cascading onto the brim.  All a must!  Now to decide on a color scheme....

Photo from Vintage Hat & Bonnets 1770-1970 

xox,

K B-D


1 comment:

  1. I love hats but am by no means a milliner. I have a few vintage hats that need rehab, and a few wide brims like the one you bought that need sprucing up.

    ReplyDelete